A California judge ruled out allegations made by the women that they were underpaid compared to the men’s team.
The long-running dispute with US Soccer from the World Cup-winning squad was a noisy and contentious struggle and the participants were demanding $66 million in damages under the Equal Pay Act.
“We were so surprised- we’re surely going to appeal” captain Alex Morgan said, talking on Good Morning America. Her co-captain and Ballon d’Or winner Megan Rapinoe also said she doubted the validity of the summary judgment, last year.
“If I receive one dollar per time I play and a man earns three dollars only because I win 10 games and he wins just three games-then I earn 10 dollars and he’s earned nine dollars – I’m not sure how I make more money.” she said.
Morgan continued, “This move came out of leftfield for us. I think it was very surprising on both sides. If anybody knew anything about the heart of this squad, we’re warriors and we’re going to keep battling for it together.”
“During the plaintiff duration, the Women’s National Team was paying higher on both a gross and an actual per-game basis than the Men’s National Team.” the court noted in its summary judgment.
The court has permitted unfair medical, travel and training charges to move to the trial, which is expected to begin June 16.
Many of the high-profile supporters of the team, including women’s sport icon Billie Jean King and potential US Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, expressed their disbelief and continued support when news emerged.