There are now six coronavirus patients at Camp Nou now because three more Barcelona footballers have tested positive for COVID-19.
Several Spanish clubs have reported Covid cases, such as Real Sociedad on Monday or Real Madrid in mid-December (football news). But La Liga haven’t postponed even a single match yet.
According to La Liga and Spanish Football Federation rules, they can only suspend a match when a team does not even have available at least 13 players, of which, furthermore, five must needs be from the first team.
This puts Sunday’s match between Atletico Madrid and Rayo Vallecano, who are the hardest-hit squad in La Liga, at risk. The latter team from the first division has up to 17 players whom COVID-19 has infected, according to press reports.
Elsewhere in Spain’s top flight, Real Sociedad has reported 10 COVID-positive players, whereas Cadiz has five and RCD Mallorca, four.
Three More Barcelona Footballers Have Tested Positive For COVID-19
And now Barcelona’s COVID-hit numbers have risen. Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele (football transfers), defender Samuel Umtiti and midfielder Gavi have tested positive for Covid-19, the club said on Wednesday.
This brings the number of infected first-team players at the Spanish club to six.
“The players are in good health and self-isolating at home. The Club has reported the cases to the relevant authorities”, Barcelona said in an official statement.
These three players join left-back Jordi Alba, centre-back Clement Lenglent, and defender Dani Alves, who tested positive earlier this week.
Barcelona, currently placing seventh in La Liga, will travel to Real Mallorca, who are on 15th position, on Sunday.