Manchester City will be looking for their fifth straight win in all competitions when they host Southampton in the Premier League. For this fixture at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon, here’s some Premier League football news – Manchester City vs Southampton.
The Citizens have earned nine points from their four league games this season, placing them fifth in the table.
On the other hand, Southampton are 14th, after they earned three points from their four games in 2021-22.
- Phil Foden made his first appearance of the season against RB Leipzig in midweek. But it’s too early to expect him to start.
- Because Aymeric Laporte and John Stones were both absent against Leipzig, Nathan Ake has a chance to start here. He did, after all, score against Leipzig (football news).
- After making substitute appearances on Wednesday, Kyle Walker, Ilkay Gundogan, and Gabriel Jesus should all return to this starting XI.
- Meanwhile, Jack Grealish has started every game for Manchester City this season, he may rest now, at some point.
- Raheem Sterling, on the other hand, has only started one of their five games, and so could start this one.
Manchester City possible starting lineup: Ederson; Walker, Stones, Dias, Cancelo; De Bruyne, Rodri, Gundogan; Jesus, Torres, Grealish
- Shane Long returned to training on Wednesday after recovering from COVID-19, and could make an appearance here.
- However, Stuart Armstrong and Theo Walcott remain absent for the visitors.
- Kyle Walker-Peters could fill in at right-back or left-back.
- Still, Jack Stephens and Mohammed Salisu appear to be Southampton’s preferred center-back pairing at the moment.
- Che Adams will want a recall after being out of the squad for the game against West Ham last week. But given Southampton’s task this weekend, it wouldn’t be surprising if they stick with one striker up front.
- Nathan Tella could make a surprise start for the visiting team this weekend.
Southampton possible starting lineup: McCarthy; Livramento, Stephens, Salisu, Perraud; Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Elyounoussi; Redmond, Armstrong, Djenepo
Premier League Football News – Manchester City vs Southampton
- Manchester City defeated RB Leipzig 6-3 in midweek (football prediction). Pep Guardiola’s team has now scored five or more goals in three of their last four games. Not bad for a team that did not sign a striker in the offseason.
- Southampton held West Ham to a 0-0 draw last weekend, giving them three consecutive Premier League draws. Plus, they have lost their last five away games against City.
Southampton have been formidable in recent weeks, particularly in the second half of their Manchester United match on August 22.
Man City, on the other hand, are in splendid form right now. So, we expect Guardiola’s team to score three more goals in another comfortable home victory.