On Sunday night, dethroned champions Liverpool face current Premier League champions Manchester City. Before this must-see Premier League match at Anfield, refer our expertly sourced Premier League football news – Liverpool vs Manchester City.
After six games, the two powerhouses are presently first and second in the Premier League table. In fact, Jurgen Klopp’s side one point ahead of their current defending champions and arch championship rivals at the top.
Watch the expert preview on this match, and others, from Matchweek 7 of the English Premier League:
- Trent Alexander-Arnold’s poised to miss his second game in a row, which tells us James Milner will remain at right-back.
- Roberto Firmino scored twice off the bench in midweek. Given his work rate, it wouldn’t be surprising if he started here instead of Diogo Jota.
- Curtis Jones is deserving of a start after some strong performances, but Naby Keita is back in the Liverpool squad. Meanwhile, Thiago has returned to the bench.
- Jurgen Klopp will hope Joel Matip and Virgil van Dijk can keep their heads after three games in a week. But, if in case they can’t, Joe Gomez and Ibrahima Konate are on standby, ready to start.
Liverpool possible starting lineup: Alisson; Milner, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson; Henderson, Fabinho, Jones; Salah, Firmino, Mane
- John Stones has yet to make his first appearance for Manchester City this season. He and Aymeric Laporta are both unavailable here (football news).
- Phil Foden saw the bench against PSG in midweek but will start here. This will possibly move Kevin De Bruyne to a false nine position.
- This season, Jack Grealish has been constantly playing for City, but he showed signs of exhaustion against PSG on Wednesday.
- Both Raheem Sterling and Riyad Mahrez are also going to leave the starting lineup.
- On the other hand, Gabriel Jesus and Ferran Torres are ready to take the stage.
Manchester City possible starting lineup: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo; Silva, Rodri, Foden; Jesus, De Bruyne, Grealish
Premier League Football News – Liverpool vs Manchester City
- This season, Liverpool has gone undefeated in all competitions, although there have been glimpses of frailty at times. Last weekend, they gave up three goals to Brentford, two to AC Milan. The Reds also couldn’t break down a Chelsea side that was down to ten men for 45 minutes.
- Manchester City also rued wasted chances in their 2-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain in midweek. But Pep Guardiola’s team actually dominated Chelsea last weekend, but they have failed to score in three of their first nine matches this season.
- Jurgen Klopp is the most successful manager against Pep Guardiola’s teams, as he’s won nine of their previous 21 meetings.
A matchup between the Premier League’s most explosive attack and the most tenacious defense should produce yet another classic.
We think the visitors’ defense will almost certainly be unable to hold out against the illustrious trio.
But Guardiola’s side still has plenty of quality going forward and should have made PSG’s Parc des Princes tremble.
Therefore, we expect the two managers to shake hands on a draw when the final whistle blows.