On Saturday afternoon, one of the Premier League’s marquee matches will take place at Stamford Bridge. For when early league leaders Chelsea host reigning champions Manchester City, here’s some Premier League football news – Chelsea vs Manchester City.
Chelsea leads the table with 13 points from their first five league games (latest Premier League football results).
Meanwhile, Manchester City is fifth with 10 points from their first five league games of the 2021-22 season.
Watch an expert preview on the Week 6 fixtures of the 2021-22 English Premier League:
- Édouard Mendy has missed Chelsea’s last two games. Regardless of this, head coach Thomas Tuchel is confident he will be available for Saturday’s match against Manchester City.
- N’Golo Kante started against Aston Villa in midweek, so he’s unlikely to start again here.
- After another underwhelming performance against Aston Villa, Saul Niguez has no chance of starting
- Reece James was fantastic in midweek but may have to settle for a bench spot.
Chelsea possible starting lineup: Mendy; Christensen, T Silva, Rudiger; Azpilicueta, Kante, Jorginho, Alonso; Mount, Lukaku, Havertz
- Manchester City’s schedule has three consecutive away games against Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, and Liverpool. So, it will be interesting to see how Pep Guardiola manages his squad and rotates his roster.
- City manager Pep Guardiola already has shown concern about the fitness of key players. It is not a guarantee that these key figures – Aymeric Laporte, John Stones, Rodri, and Ilkay Gundogan – will play here.
- If neither Stones nor Laporte recover in time for Saturday’s early kick-off, Nathan Ake (football news) will step in.
- Given City’s upcoming fixtures, it’s surprising that Phil Foden and Kevin De Bruyne played 90 minutes against Wycombe in midweek despite the need for minutes.
- It wouldn’t surprise us if one of these two started on the bench, with Bernardo Silva taking over if necessary.
- Riyad Mahrez, who had a perfect WhoScored 10 rating against Wycombe, could find himself on the bench.
- At the moment, it appears that Ferran Torres and Raheem Sterling are vying for the starting spot in City’s midfield. However, we believe the former may prevail.
Manchester City possible starting lineup: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Ake, Cancelo; De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Gundogan; Jesus, Torres, Grealish
Premier League Football News – Chelsea vs Manchester City
- Chelsea has played all of their games this season without a single defeat. They are three points ahead of Manchester City going into Saturday’s game. Finally, as Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel has won all three games against Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola.
- City suffered a league setback last weekend when Southampton held them to a goalless draw. A defeat on Saturday would put City further back in the title race. But given their injury woes, a loss at Stamford Bridge would not be surprising.
Although it is still early in the season, we cannot overstate the significance of this match cannot be overstated.
After all, both the immensely successful managers will be desperate to make a statement.
But it is likely to be a tight and cagey affair at Stamford Bridge. And is we had to, we would settle for a low-scoring draw, which both teams would likely accept too.