Europe’s in-form team Italy meet Wales at Stadio Olimpico on Sunday, and here’s our football prediction, Italy vs Wales.
Wales will ensure their spot in the knockout stages if they just secure one point, from a draw.
The Dragons earned four points from their first two games, winning 0-2 over Turkey in their second Euro 2020 match.
Meanwhile, Italy has a perfect six-for-six record. A 3-0 victory over Switzerland has made them the best football team in Group A. Indeed, they’re already the first to advance to the next round amidst all group.
- Marco Verratti will try to make the matchday squad on Sunday. But after Manuel Locatelli’s brace against Switzerland, he may have to settle for a spot on the bench.
- Francesco Acerbi may replace Giorgio Chiellini, who was injured in the first half of Italy’s win over Switzerland in midweek. Meanwhile, having already qualified, Alessandro Florenzi is unlikely to take any risks here and start the match on the bench.
Italy possible starting lineup: Donnarumma; Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Acerbi, Emerson; Verratti, Cristante, Barella; Bernardeschi, Belotti, Chiesa
- Wales may very well name the same starting XI for their third game in a row.
Wales possible starting lineup: Ward; Roberts, Mepham, Rodon, Gunter, Williams; Morrell, Allen; Bale, Wilson, James
Football Prediction – Italy vs Wales
- Italy will finish in the top two regardless of what happens on Sunday. Though they just need a point to claim first place, finishing second may actually provide the most favorable knockout route.
- Wales defeated Turkey 2-0 on Wednesday, boosting their chances of qualifying for the knockout stages. They would do so for the second time in a row in the European Championship.
- It would take a huge swing for Wales to tumble to third place right now. But even third place with four points should be enough to keep them in the race.
- This is the first encounter between the two sides since 2003, when Italy won 4-0 after Filippo Inzaghi’s hat-trick. Following the break, expect Roberto Mancini’s side to come out firing.
Italy’s won seven to Wales’ two victories in the previous nine matches between these two teams.
There have thus never been any draws between the two, and there might not be one here too.
Moreover, the Azzurri have won 10 games in a row and kept a clean sheet in each of those games.
It’s difficult to imagine the visitors breaking any of those streaks.
Both teams will make a number of changes, but we believe Italy will emerge victorious.
They will secure all three points and a clean sheet to therefore secure first place.