Leicester City will kick off their Europa League campaign against Italian giants Napoli on Thursday. As they face the favourites for the trophy next spring, here’s some Europa League football news – Leicester City vs Napoli.
The Foxes are coming off a defeat to English champions Manchester City, we was as we predicted.
Meanwhile, their Neapolitan opponents beat old rivals Juventus 2-1 with a late goal to keep their perfect Serie A record. They conquered Genoa with the same score, away, after they defeated Venezia 2-0 in their Serie A opener (football news). We recall all this to remind readers that Napoli have been on a winning streak this season.
- Ayoze Perez is serving a three-game domestic ban but he will mostly be available for selection on Thursday.
- Jonny Evans is also ready to make his first start of the season after recovering from injury.
- Patson Daka has played just 26 minutes in the Premier League so far, but will almost certainly start on Thursday.
- Finally, in terms of absenses, Leicester are still without Wesley Fofana, James Justin, and Nampalys Mendy.
Leicester City possible starting lineup: Schmeichel; Castagne, Vestergaard, Soyuncu, Bertrand; Albrighton, Tielemans, Ndidi, Barnes; Daka, Vardy
- Napoli could be missing as many as seven players when they travel to Leicester City on Thursday.
- For instance, Lorenzo Insigne and Mario Rui have added to Napoli’s injury list, and both are likely to miss midweek.
- in Insigne’s absence, Hirving Lozano could get some much-needed minutes. But in this case, someone will have to play out of position to cover Rui at left-back.
- Piotr Zielinski, at least, returned from injury in the weekend’s 2-1 win over Juventus and so he may start here.
- If the away team requires fresh legs, Juan Jesus and Kevin Malcuit are the options to go with in defense.
Napoli possible starting lineup: Ospina; Di Lorenzo, Manolas, Koulibaly, Rui; Anguissa, Elmas, Ruiz; Politano, Osimhen, Lozano
Europa League Football News – Leicester City vs Napoli
- Leicester lost 1-0 at home to Manchester City on Saturday. This means that they have now lost two of their first four matches this season.
- On the other hand, Napoli are celebrating their weekend comeback victory over Serie A rivals Juventus.
- Because Napoli have won their first three league games this season, they will be hoping to win something on Thursday.
We expect an open game on Thursday night, because both teams prefer to go forward. Plus, they are each capable of slicing open even the tightest defenses.
Leicester has struggled in the final third recently but the bright lights of a European night could help them here. Add to that a potential change in attacking personnel, and they may secure a point against their toughest Group C opponents.