On Saturday lunchtime, Manchester City takes on Arsenal in gameweek three of the 2021-22 Premier League season. In this clash between Pep Guardiola and Mikel Arteta, once his assistant, the professor meets the protege at Etihad Stadium. So, catch up on this clash of coaches in EPL football news – Manchester City vs Arsenal prediction.
- Ilkay Gundogan recovered quickly from a shoulder injury to play in Manchester City-Norwich last weekend, and he should play here.
- Phil Foden is still out for Pep Guardiola’s team, and Kevin De Bruyne will not play this weekend. This we pick up from Belgium manager Roberto Martinez confirming his unavailability.
- Aymeric Laporte appears to be in line for a first-team debut as John Stones returns from a lengthy injury layoff.
- Raheem Sterling and Riyad Mahrez are both vying for starts on Saturday, though Gabriel Jesus shone from wide against Norwich.
- Finally, City announced on Thursday that Benjamin Mendy had been suspended after being charged by the police, signalling his unavailibility.
Manchester City possible starting lineup: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo; Rodri, Gundogan, Grealish; Mahrez, Jesus, Sterling
- Alexandre Laczette, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, and Martin Odegaard are all available, but Arsenal may only call the latter two to start.
- Aubameyang appears to be safe to lead the line after he scored a hat-trick against West Brom on Wednesday night. Emile Smith Rowe may have to play out wide because Odegaard may be in the No.10 position.
- Nicolas Pepe’s on standby after Bukayo Saka suffered a serious knee injury against West Brom but still finished the match.
- Ben White will miss out again, according to head coach Mikel Arteta, which is another setback for the Gunners.
- Pablo Mari had a nightmare against Chelsea last weekend, and it wouldn’t surprise us if Arteta dropped him here.
- Kieran Tierney was not risked in midweek, but he should be fit to play at the Etihad. Aaron Ramsdale will not take over from Bernd Leno as goalkeeper just yet.
Arsenal possible starting lineup: Leno; Cedric, Holding, Mari, Tierney; Xhaka, Lokonga; Saka, Odegaard, Smith Rowe; Aubameyang
EPL Football News – Manchester City vs Arsenal Prediction
- Manchester City thrashed Norwich 5-0 last weekend after losing their first game of the season.
- Likewise, Arsenal earned their first win of the season with a 6-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday.
- But though Arsenal are improving from the EPL start, the Gunners may tire from playing late on Wednesday and early on Saturday.
- Plus, they’ve now lost five games in a row at the Etihad.
The timely returns of Aubameyang and Lacazette, both of whom scored in midweek, will be invaluable to Arsenal’s attack.
But despite the Gunners being in a far better position than they were against Chelsea, Arteta faces the same old problems.
Even if his team puts up a better fight, the reigning champions’ superiority may be too much to sustain against.