Lionel Messi will face a familiar face in Pep Guardiola in his first Champions League season with Paris Saint-Germain. This is because, among other Champions League football news, UEFA have drawn groups among the top clubs in top-flight leagues.
UEFA drew Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain in the same group today. This means that Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi will face off in the Champions League.
Guardiola, now Manchester City’s head coach (but not for long – news of football transfers), was once the manager at Barcelona.
There, between the years 2008 and 2012, he also coached Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi, who has recently transferred to PSG.
Another interesting storyline is potentially brewing in the Champions League as well as in the Manchester City versus PSG debate.
So, if City do manage to secure Ronaldo before the summer transfer window closes this week, it will ignite another iconic clash, perhaps the most exciting one across the globe – the one pitting Messi and Ronaldo against each other on the pitch.
On the other hand, if Ronaldo does not leave Juventus after all, he will face the current Champions League title-holders. This is because Juventus is in the same group as Chelsea, when the draw put both clubs in Group H.
This is the same Chelsea who ironically defeated Manchester City in the Champions League final last season.
Champions League Football News – UEFA Have Drawn Groups:
1. Group A: Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, RB Leipzig, Club Brugge
2. Group B: Atletico Madrid, Liverpool, Porto, Milan
3. Group C: Sporting CP, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax, Besiktas
4. Group D: Inter, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Sheriff
5. Group E: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Benfica, Dynamo Kiev
6. Group F: Villarreal, Manchester United, Atalanta, Young Boys
7. Group G: Lille, Sevilla, Salzburg, Wolfsburg
8. Group H: Chelsea, Juventus, Zenit, Malmo