Manchester United will seek vengeance against Villarreal just over four months after losing the Europa League final to them. Against their Spanish counterparts, for the group stage on Wednesday night, here’s Champions League football news – Manchester United vs Villarreal.
Meanwhile, the Yellow Submarine played a 2-2 draw at home against Atalanta.
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is under duress because he is seemingly missing three of his regular back four on Wednesday night.
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka is sitting out this match on suspension after recently receiving a straight red card in the Champions League.
- Meanwhile, Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire are both out with injuries.
- Donny van de Beek, Jadon Sancho, Jesse Lingard, Anthony Martial, and Edinson Cavani will all compete to start against Villarreal.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has 13 goals in 19 career games against Villarreal. But only two of them have come in the last six years.
Manchester United possible starting lineup: De Gea; Dalot, Lindelof, Varane, Telles; McTominay, Fred; Greenwood, Fernandes, Pogba; Ronaldo
- Gerard Moreno scored in Villarreal’s Europa League final victory over Manchester United in May. But he appears to be unavailable right now after missing the weekend match against Real Madrid.
- Meanwhile, the away team is still without highly rated winger Samuel Chukwueze. Dani Raba and Yeremi Pino are also out.
- Finally, Francis Coquelin is on leave.
- Pau Torres returned from a long break earlier this month and so, he will face Manchester United in this match.
Villarreal possible starting lineup: Rulli; Foyth, Albiol, Torres, A. Moreno; Parejo, Capoue, Trigueros; Danjuma, Alcacer, Pino
Champions League Football News – Manchester United vs Villarreal
- Manchester United have lost three of their last four games in all competitions. As such, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is under pressure after a busy summer transfer window.
- After losing their first Champions League game away to Young Boys, the Red Devils are already on a back foot. They lost the Europa League final to Villarreal on penalties last season.
- Villarreal have struggled since winning the Europa League final in May. Six of their first seven matches this season across all competitions were draws.
- Given these two clubs’ head-to-head record, another draw on Wednesday appears highly likely. These two teams have drawn in all five meetings within the usual 90 minutes.
The pressure is mounting on Solskjaer as Manchester United fans expect their team to perform at a much higher level. Particularly, these are the games that everyone expect United to win.
Wednesday’s game is another that the Red Devils will be favorites to win. After all, a defeat here would severely jeopardize their chances of qualifying for the Champions League.
Solskjaer is desperate for a response from his players. But they could suffer another difficult evening against a resilient Villarreal team that have been a challenge this season.
So, another draw between the two sides at Old Trafford could be on the cards.